Barracuda has released key findings from a report titled ‘The state of application security in 2021’. Commissioned by the cloud security company, the research surveyed 750 application security decision makers responsible for their organization’s application development and security to get their perspectives on data breaches, top application security vulnerabilities, and the most important product capabilities needed to defend against multi-vector application attacks.
The findings indicate that more needs to be done to protect against application security threats, particularly newer threats like bot attacks, API attacks, and supply chain attacks. Highlights from the report include:
* On average, respondent organizations in India were successfully breached twice in the past 12 months as a direct result of an application vulnerability.
* 27% of respondents say their organization suffered at least one breach from application vulnerability.
* 38% say their organization suffered two breaches due to an applications vulnerability.
* 16% were breached three times for due to application vulnerabilities.
* The range of application security-related challenges facing organizations extends beyond difficulties securing multiple attack vectors.
* Respondents in India identified their top application security challenges as software supply chain attacks (59%), security slows application development time (48%), bad bots (45%), securing APIs (44%), and vulnerability detection (38%).
* In India, web application vulnerability/ zero-day vulnerability are the most likely contributor to successful security breaches resulting from application vulnerabilities in the past 12 months.
* 52% of respondents say web application vulnerability/ zero-day vulnerability contributed to a successful security breach that exploited vulnerabilities in the organization’s applications in the last 12 months.